30 Day Book Challenge: Day 6

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel - Rachel Joyce Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher

30 Day Book Challenge Header

Day 6: A Book That Makes You Sad

I can't say a lot of books have made me sad. I tend to stay away from really sad books and I don't really cry that easily over books or movies or TV shows. My husband says it is because I'm cold-hearted inside. Who knows maybe I am. I can think of two books though that made me a little heartbroken for the characters.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

I received an ARC of this from First Reads on GR. I don't read "adult" books that often but the summary sounded interesting and I have always wanted to go to England, so I was like...what the heck.

I ended up really liking this book and wanting a finished copy, which I didn't get cause my hubby said "You already have a copy". Non-book people...ugh. So I have been cherishing my ARC.

This is about an older gentleman who receives a letter from an old friend, she is dying. So he sets out to mail a return letter...and starts walking...keeps walking...walking....walking. Harold and his wife have had a certain, tension present in their home life since something bad happened years ago. I felt sad for Harold and his wife, Maureen, after I found out "the thing". And I felt bad for Harold to be walking across England. I mean this isn't a young spring chicken of a man. This is a man who has lived his life and is set to carry out his days in a calm, comfortable manner. Yet the motivation to walk appears and all the trouble he endures.

It was nominated for the Man Booker Prize last year (2012) I think, I hope I'm not the only one who felt a little sad for Harold and his journey.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This is about a teen girl who commits suicide. And it was heartbreaking. Really the events that lead her to giving up were saddening. I can't really say much more about this, I don't want to give anything away. But I have been in her shoes before, it is hard to keep going. Really hard.

30 Day Book Challenge