30 Day Book Challenge: Day 3

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  - J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  - J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  - J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

30 Day Book Challenge Header

Day 3: Your Favorite Series

This is an EASY answer.

Harry Potter

I discovered Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in my library some time in my later teens (1999 or 2000 or maybe early 2001). I was looking for something fun and simple to read in the limited choices for teens. (I came from a small town and they didn't have the widest selection for young adults, not bashing just stating a fact.) I did not know that 13 years later I would still be so in love with this series and would see it turned into eight movies, two (or is it three?) musical parodies, countless fanfictions, video games (which I have Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7), a theme park expansion, AND A WEBSITE...almost forgot that.

I had no idea this book that I chose because it looked so simple to read would become the sensation we have today. By the time I read it, HPSS was on the New York Times Best Seller's List, which is probably why my library chose the book. For a teen in a small Southern town before wide spread internet take over, best seller lists consisted of my library setting up a table with a bunch of adult books and a few children's books thrown in haphazardly just to be ignored by patrons. So glad I paid attention that day.

TLDR Version: Harry Potter is the shit, yo.

30 Day Book Challenge