Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson

**Original Review was written Feb 9th 2012. Adding on to review and reposting.

Very intense. This book got to me. It really got to me, in a good way.

The main character suffers from an eating disorder. Thoughts about eating and food preoccupy her mind nonstop. Every action caused by her ED. And she feels grief not just because of her obsession with eating. She has recently lost her best friend, Cassie, who died alone in a motel room due to complications from an eating disorder. .  this book follows her struggle against her ED and spiral back into the obsessive nature of her illness. She sees herself as STRONG...not sick as others see when they look at her emaciated frame. She works out until she is so exhausted she can no longer see/hear Cassie.

This book was very well written and something about it caused me to step inside the MC so thoroughly that I felt I was the one with the eating disorder. I had to eat an entire 10 piece chicken nugget from McDonald's just to feel some relief. I have never had an eating disorder so I don't know how close this book is to the reality of the condition. This book scared me from ever allowing myself to develop an eating disorder. This book was amazing.